dinsdag 6 oktober 2009

Intro

Please allow me to introduce myself first. I’m a master student in Applied ecology and conservation. My main interest is nature in its broadest sense. I have a holistic view on conservation, I believe that human society requires stable biodivers ecosystems to live healthy, pleasant and satisfactory lives in the long term. In my opinion nature should be widely integrated into society, people should not be disconnected to nature.

In order to bring people back in touch with nature, and to enhance nature conservation, a mentality change is required. A move from consumption society to a conservation society is necessary: true sustainability is a precondition for nature conservation. In this module, sustainable consumption, I hope to learn about how a mentality change can be initiated.

What I find interesting is the motives of people to live their lives the way they do. Why do people consider making money and consuming a lot so important? Why do they choose to stick to this system? Why not stop for a moment, and reconsider what is really important in a human life? Why do people measure success in life by the amount of material they collected?

One may wonder why I named this blog ‘Move to wonderland’. Don’t worry, I don’t believe in fairytales ;-) What I mean is that individuals can choose to live (and consume) differently, joining with other likeminded people they can start a movement, moving towards a better and more sustainable world.

1 opmerking:

  1. Hi Anne, great to see your blog and hear a little more about what has interested you about the module, I think there'll be lots of opportunities to discuss these very things, in the module, and to look at real-world (not fairytale!) examples of people trying to make this shift. Looking forward to hearing more from you over the next few weeks, Gill

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen